Friday, October 26, 2012

Quick and Easy Meals You Can't Resist!

Being a college student I am constantly on the go, so I have found it difficult to eat healthy all the time. Lately, I have been on the search for healthy meals that I can whip up really quick and still taste great. I have also found that it is really helpful to make enough food for two meals when I am cooking and then I just throw the extra food in some Tupperware containers, put them in the refrigerator, and then warm it up quick the next day. I can now get everything done I need to during the day and still have time to fit in my healthy meals! I have provided some of my favorite recipes I have found so far along with the websites I found them they on. Many of the websites have several other recipe options also, so I highly recommend checking them out. Enjoy!


Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo: Prep time 10 minutes, Cook time 15 minutes




Ingredients
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cut chunks (makes about 2 cups)
  • 2 cups roasted broccoli florets
  • 8 ounces fettuccine 
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons flour 
  • 1 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup plain FAGE total 0% greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 pinch ground netmeg
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese



Directions

In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta. Drain and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes

Whisk in the flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan.

Add cooked chicken and broccoli to sauce mixture, followed by the cooked pasta. Toss to combine and serve with more Parmesan, if desired.



Turkey, Avocado, and Hummus Wrap: Prep time 5 minutes 
(Probably one of my favorites!)

Ingredients
  • 1 whole wheat tortilla 
  • 2-3 tablespoons red pepper hummus
  • 3 slices low-sodium deli turkey
  • 1/4 avocado, sliced
  • Pickle slices
Directions

Spread tortilla with hummus, then layer turkey, avocado, and pickle slices. Roll, then slice. 







Shrimp Scampi: Ready in 2 minutes!!

Ingredients
  • 24 large frozen shrimp, peeled
  • 1/2 cup spinach leaves, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 or 2 splashes of hot sauce
  • sesame seeds (optional)
Directions

In a large microwavable bowl, mix all the ingredients together, tossing well to coat the shrimp. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove and toss well again. Microwave 1 minute and 15 seconds more. Sprinkle mixture with sesame seeds if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment